Local man sentenced to six-plus years in prison

On Tuesday, District Judge Darren Simpson sentenced Jeremy Robert Andrus, 31, to not less than four years and no more than five years for aggravated assault on Tuesday. Andrus was fined $1,000 with court costs totaling $225.50.
On a felony count of eluding the police, Andrus was sentenced to two years fixed and three years indeterminate (not less than two years and no more than five years). He was fined $800 with court costs of $225.50. The sentences will be served consecutive to one another.
"I am going to retain jurisdiction for 365 days," said Judge Simpson. "I recommend a traditional rider program.
"You will need to take mental health, parenting and violence classes," he said.
"If you are successful, you will receive probation," Simpson said. "If you fail, then the sentences will be imposed because I will impose the sentences."
A no contact order will continue for the next year. Andrus was given 230 days credit for time served.
Asked what he thought about the sentence, Craig Lasley, Andrus' former father-in-law at whom Andrus pointed a gun), said, "I think it's fair for him to have a chance. He (Andrus) has a lot of history.
"This is probably his last chance," Lasley said.
Forty-one cases are listed against Andrus in the Idaho Repository.
When given the opportunity to address the court, Andrus apologized to the Lasley family and apologized to the court for wasting its time.
"I just want to be a good father, move on with my life and be happy," Andrus said.
Andrus changed his plea to guilty on one count of aggravated assault and one count of attempting to elude a police officer on Oct. 9, 2012.
The state dismissed the felony charge of attempted kidnapping in the second degree (not for ransom). The sentence enhancement, using a firearm, was connected with the attempted kidnapping charge and was also dismissed.
In this case, Andrus was arrested May 2, 2012, after a pursuit and standoff on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation.
The incident started as a domestic dispute and then escalated from there.
Andrus' ex-wife, Britney, said Andrus held a gun to her stepdad's head before leading police on a chase.
Andrus fired shots into the air outside the home before leaving the area. He then headed towards Fort Hall near Ferry Butte Road.
When Andrus failed to yield to the authorities, Fort Hall Police deployed spike strips at the intersection of Highway 91 and Marshall Road. The spike strips partially disabled the suspect vehicle but the pursuit continued.  Multiple local agencies were involved including Fort Hall, Bingham and Bannock counties, Idaho State and Chubbuck police.
The truck continued southbound on Highway 91 through the Fort Hall town site losing parts and emitting sparks along the road. The vehicle eventually caught fire and came to a stop just north of Reservation Road on Highway 91.
Andrus showed signs of distress and threatened to take his own life by pointing a handgun to his head.  Just before 11 p.m., a negotiator arrived on scene and quickly talked the suspect down. He was then taken into custody.