Late goal sinks Lady Broncos

BLACKFOOT — During the opening 40 minutes Tuesday afternoon the Blackfoot Lady Broncos and the Idaho Falls Lady Tigers were locked in a defensive struggle.

Most of the opening half was spent in the Blackfoot end of the field. And while the visitors from Idaho Falls were not able to put the ball in the net, they made the Lady Broncos play the half on their toes.
Angela Garza got Blackfoot on the board early in the second half, but the Tigers rallied for two late second half goals including the game-winner by Linley Baker in the 79th minute to earn a 2-1 victory.
"We played really well in the first half, but we focused too much on the middle the field," Blackfoot head coach Alisha Yeates said. "But overall it was a good match against a tough 5A school and we got a chance to move some people around and try out some things."
Both teams did get off a couple of good shots on goal in the first. but neither were close enough to to find the net, that was until the final two minutes of the half when Blackfoot goalie Madison Leslie had to jump and push the ball over the crossbar.
The teams went to the half tied 0-0, and neither coach was pleased with their teams effort.
"We did not get as many shots on goal as I would have liked," Yeates said. "And Madison Leslie saved us so many times today, she played really great."
Minutes into the second half Blackfoot's Angela Garza grabbed turnover at midfield and turned towards the Idaho Falls net. After maneuvering through a couple of defenders, Garza launched a shot towards the right side of the net.
The diving attempt by the Idaho Falls goalie was unsuccessful and the ball rolled into the back of the net.
Over the next 10 minutes the Lady Tigers put tons of pressure on the Blackfoot defense and Leslie in the net.
Idaho Falls had three shots go just wide and one skim off the crossbar.
In the 65th minute Idaho Falls finally got on the scoreboard when Brooke Klaass beat Leslie to her right hand side to score the equalizing goal.
The Tigers kept on the pressure in the games final minutes sending another few shots towards Leslie.
In the 79th minute Baker had a one-on-one chance in front of a charging Leslie. As Leslie slid to stop the shot the ball popped off her handstand trickled into the net.
A few seconds later the game ended.
"That was good match," Yeates said. "It was a tough loss, but in the grand scheme of things the game had no affect on us making the playoffs."
Blackfoot hosts Jerome on Saturday at 11 a.m.