Lady Panthers shutout Lady Tigers

THOMAS — After an 0-0 draw at Teton on Wednesday in less than desirable playing conditions the Snake River Lady Panthers returned home Thursday for a duel with county rival Aberdeen.

While the sunny skies did not deliver the warm temperatures we have been used to this summer, it did allow the teams conditions to play some very aggressive soccer.
Ivy Goff's goal in the 28th minute proved to be the game-winner as the Lady Panthers earned a hard fought 1-0 win.
While Snake River led on the scoreboard for most of the game, the visitors from Aberdeen had many, many more scoring chances.
But the advantage in scoring chances proved to make no difference in the end result for the Lady Tigers.
The opening 20 minutes was a defensive struggle as neither team could really mount much, if any of an offensive run.
Goff's late first half goal came as she beat two Aberdeen defenders and found herself one-on-one with the Aberdeen keeper, who she promptly beat with a shot into the right side of the net.
During halftime Snake River coach Randy Turpin voiced to his team how they needed to improve their play in the middle of the field, while Aberdeen head coach and former Snake River player Kenna Henicksman told her team that she was proud of their effort, but the needed to be more aggressive on their runs towards the Snake River goal.
Easier said than done for an Aberdeen squad that had just 11 players.
It was evident midway through the first half that fatigue was going to be a factor, it proved to be for some players. BUt despite being tired, many players kept running the entire 80 minutes.
During the second half Aberdeen did mount one very good scoring opportunity when Priscilla Villegas picked off a Snake River pass and then broke through two defenders and took a shot at a wide open net.
The shot went wide, but sent a reminder to the Lady Panthers that Aberdeen was not going to go away without a fight.
For the reminder of the half the two teams kept the ball in the middle of the field with neither mounting much of a threat.
When the final whistle blew the mood of the two teams was vastly different.
Despite winning Snake River was not happy with the way the played, while Aberdeen was thrilled with the outcome.
Snake River takes the field again on Saturday when they host Shelley. Kick-off is 11 a.m.