Blackfoot policeman a hero at accident

BLACKFOOT — An Idaho State Police trooper is among those crediting
a Blackfoot police officer with saving a man’s life on Saturday.
At approximately 8:45 a.m., ISP’s Marcus Graham investigated a two-vehicle injury crash on US91 at milepost 103, just north of Blackfoot.
Boyd Gettman, 47, of Pocatello, was traveling west in a 2000 Ford Expedition on N. 100 W. (Merkley Lane), when he made a left turn unto
US 91.
A 1980 Harley Davidson motorcycle, driven by Kenneth Sellers, age 60, was
traveling northbound on US91 when the impactoccurred.
“The motorcyclist had no place to turn, nowhere to move, at the time of impact,” said Graham.
The motorcycle ended up in the middle of the road.
Sellers was transported by air ambulance to Eastern Idaho Regional
Medical Center (EIRMC) in Idaho Falls on Saturday. Sellers was a “hot load.” That’s when the pilot doesn’t turn off the propellors of the helicopter as the injured person is loaded onto the air ambulance.
Surgery took place on Monday.
“The real story here is that Blackfoot Police Patrol Officer Andrew Adrignola is a hero,” said Graham. “He probably saved (Sellers’) life.”
The Blackfoot patrol officer was the second person on the scene.
“I was probably about 10 seconds behind the other guy,” said Adrignola.
When he arrived on site, there was a considerable amount of bleeding,
said Blackfoot Police Capt. Scott Gay. Sellers’ leg had been severed.
“There was quite an injury on his leg,” said Adrignola.
Adrignola applied a tourniquet to the injured limb.
“I’m not a hero,” he said. “Anyone here (speaking of the police department) would have done the same thing. I work with
great guys.”
Asked how he knew how and when to apply the tourniquet, Adrignola
said, “We had training here (in the department) about a year to a year and one-half ago. “It’s all in a day’s work,” he said. “I did what I
thought was right and what would help the guy.”
To catch up with Sellers, his sister, Barb Tatum wrote on Facebook Monday
afternoon, “I want to thank everyone for the thoughts and support while Ken is recovering from his horrific accident. … [After the crash], “he
was transported to BMH where they started blood and then flown to EIRMC
in Idaho Falls.
“His right leg was not salvageable, was hemorrhaging, and it had to be
amputated,” Tatum wrote. “He also received severe wounds to his right hand. “He is in ICU, his vitals are stable, and they took him off the ventilator [Sunday] afternoon,” she writes. “He went back into surgery
Monday morning and the surgeon is happy with Ken’s hand—they pinned
the fractures, repaired a tendon, and closed up open wounds—and
expects him to have full use of it after healing and physical therapy.
Tatum wrote, “(The doctor) also cleaned up the amputation site, evaluated
the damage better, and plans on taking Ken back into surgery on Wednesday
to finish the work and get him ready for a prosthesis.”