Skip to main content

Updated - Fire forces kids to evacuate

September 23, 2010

(The Morning News – Katie Harris) Paramedics were called to Hawker Funeral Home to check on children who were evacuated from the Blackfoot Community Center when a fire caused dangerous chemical-filled smoke to fill the center. The second grade boy (pictured) had his oxygen level checked and was fine. There were no injuries reported.

BLACKFOOT — There were some scary moments for kids Wednesday afternoon at the Blackfoot Community Center when a fire across the street brought billows of smoke towards the Center, forcing an evacuation.
Center administrators quickly began calling parents alerting them to the fire and advising them that the smoke was intense. Approximately 35 students were picked up before the Code Red call came. With 52 students remaining, officers ordered them to evacuate.
Children were each handed a wet tissue at the center and told to cover their mouths and noses. A second grade boy was treated by paramedics at Hawker. Ashlee Howell, community center executive director, confirmed that paramedics “checked his oxygen level and he is fine.
The community center will be closed Thursday so administrators can assess the smoke damage. Howell is asking parents to make other arrangements for their children today. Administrators will be in touch as soon as possible.

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes