Skip to main content

Two charged in hazing suspended from college teams

December 9, 2010

BLACKFOOT (AP) — Four former Blackfoot High School athletes have been charged with various misdemeanors as well as felony counts of forcible sexual penetration using a foreign object.
Three of the four adults have gone on to college to play football, but two of them have been suspended from their teams.
The charges come roughly a year after police say Nathan Walker, Anthony Clarke, Logan Chidester and Tyson Katseanes, all 19, engaged in hazing activities, which allegedly happened between Dec. 2, 2009, and Feb. 28. The four were charged last week and are scheduled to appear in 7th District Court on Dec. 23.
Authorities say a fifth former athlete at the school who is a juvenile also faces charges.
The misdemeanor counts include false imprisonment and battery.
Police say the incidents took place at the school's locker room and on a bus, and involved multiple victims.
Max Corbet, assistant athletic director at Boise State, in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Thursday, said Clarke is on suspension from the team without further elaborating.
Chidester is a red-shirt freshman at Carroll College in Helena, Mont. Head coach Mike Van Diest says Chidester has been suspended from playing with the team, which is competing in the NAIA championship game on Dec. 18.
Walker is at Idaho State University in Pocatello. An official in the athletics department told the AP it's unclear if any action has been taken. A new coaching staff at the school is just taking over.
Bingham County Chief Dep. Prosecuting Attorney Randy Smith said the investigation is continuing, and it's possible more victims will come forward. He said there are three or four so far.
"I'm not going to go into the details of the case but it seems pretty egregious to me," he said.
"Blackfoot is a small community, so most people know somebody that's involved," Smith said. "I liken it to a nasty divorce case. People struggling with which side do I support, because they know people on both sides. It's a struggle for everybody involved, me included."

Comments

Hazing

December 20, 2010 by KDC, 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 195

O.K. Lets think for a min,if these boys are guilty,who is really guilty? Dose someone want to tell me that hazing does not exist,Or that the coaches,or priciple did'nt know, HA!!!!!Hazing has been going on for years,Grant you not to this EXTREME,But never the less has been going on.IF these boys are found guilty,then everyone that has a position of athourity,should also be HELD accountable because after all Blackfoot High School has a ZERO tolerance policy for there students who dont abide by the rules!We need to have a Zero tolerance for the people that run that school everyday,and I am fairly sure we will here "we have over 1200 students at this school ,it is very hard to keep track of all of them." Again HA! this was not your everyday lowprofile students we are talking about here,the alledged boys were football stars.I am VERY sorry for all of you going threw this ROTTON MESS,and I do mean all of you!

I could not agree with you

December 21, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 201

I could not agree with you more! Any adult that knew about any type of incedents going on in lovker rooms on on bus trips should be held accountable and punished! Let's see, these were star athletes and state champion's, does anyone really think thier leader, their coach will be held responsible? No Way! Who wants to risk not winning state next year?? It will be a horrible injustace to these kids and otheres that he will be allowed to coach in the future. Their will be a "token" sacrifice, but it won't be who it should be! And what about the (former) athletic director? Will he be held accountable? Nope.

Really!

December 22, 2010 by truthsayer (not verified), 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 205

You have very verbally convicted these young men of disgusting things that no alleged victim ever accused them of. Without any merit, you plow ahead. You Sir/Madam, are a hateful human who is every bit the animal you so obviously hope these boys are. You sicken me deep in my soul.

Again- the truth hurts. What

December 22, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 210

Again- the truth hurts. What should sicken you is what these boys did! Unfortunatly you woulld rather try to underplay the amount of torment these boys placed on innocent victims. And maybe you have not been made aware of what truly took place on more than one occasion to more than one victim- if you had, then you would stop trying to defend these criminals. They victimized young boys who were their teamates!! They chose whomever they wanted and tok out their aggression and sick-mindedness on them. Look at the charges- they are NOT a joke! They are FELONIES!! Not one, but many!
So call me names and try to downplay the situation if it makes you feel better. As you watch the trial of these boys and hear what they did do, then your soul will truly be sickened.

down play

December 21, 2010 by Blackfoot Resident (not verified), 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 198

What irks me is the fact that the media,school officials, and judicial system is sugar coating the whole incident for these star athletes. Had this hideous crime been commited by another group of kids other than star athletes there would be a lynch mob out to confict them and the headlines would read gang rape not hazing. Lets go with what we know which is that they have been charged with serious felony's such as forcible penetration with a forien object. Lets not forget this young men were adults when they commited these crimes against there juvenile victims. They are also not your average sized person (star athletes)so fighting off one would be hard enough to do let alone fighting off five. How do you justify calling any felony hazing? For this i belive the media and shcool officials are to blame.Even if they are found innocent (which will be alot easier to have done with it just being labled hazing) the crimes with which they have been charged with does not constitute being called hazing!! These adult perpetrator's having the backing of the media,the school,high dollar attornies and many well to do families, so how do the victims expect to recive any justice? THIS IS NOT HAZING.Continuing to call it hazing is just a futher slap,insult, and raping of the victms!!!Again if this isnt what took place and they are completly innocent of these charges then the prosecuter and police need to be seriously looked at for bringing up these FELONY charges! Also lets not forget that this perpetrators are not out free on bail cuz no bail was set for these hideous crimes. They are out free without bail cuz of who they are!

JUST WAIT

December 18, 2010 by TruthHURTS (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 190

WE ARE FORGETTING WHERE WE COME FROM PPL! THESE KIDS OR ANYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO STAND TRIAL AND DEFEND THEMSELVES! IF THEY TRULY ARE GUILTY I HOPE THEY GET SEVERELY PUNISHED AS ANY OTHER SEX OFFENDER WOULD! IF NOT THEN LET THEM LIVE THEIR LIVES. AND THE VICTIMS MAY THEY GET PEACE IF IT'S TRUE, IF NOT GET THEM HELP. WE STILL ARE IN AMERICA SO LET OUR SYSTEM DO WHAT WE KNOW IT WILL DO AND IT'S FAIR JUSTICE!

hazing

December 17, 2010 by whatif (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 185

what if that 16 year old boy that took his life last March was a victim of this so called "hazing"? That would be a tragedy!!! Unfortunately he is not able to come forward, but isn't it a little coincidental that he was active in sports and that he took his life about the same time as these attacks occurred? The truth will probably never come out, but if this is so, what if ..........

I think what was meant to be

December 14, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 164

I think what was meant to be said was they thought they would get away with it, if they even thought at all. How could you do this to another human and ever think it was ok? This wasn't just "hazing" as it has been refered to- it was rape! I don't feel sorry for them one bit! They put themselves and their families in this position. If they are found guilty then they better recieve punishment and not just a slap on the wrist! I realize it may be premature in judging them, but all the victims can't be lying, as well as their former teamates?? By the way- this isn't the first time these "fab 5" have been in trouble!

Really.......judging?

December 14, 2010 by stove (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 165

Really-you have taken judging to a whole new level through your comments and what's worse is you even realize it's premature. Obviously the fact that you refer to them as the "fab 5" shows that you hold some feelings of jealousy and contempt towards these boys. So why don't you keep the premature judging to yourself until the true facts come out. FYI read the "let's not get too hasty article below'. Its says alot about the prosecutor and previous false charges.

wow...

December 15, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 166

You are right "stove" I am so jealous of these boys- I only wish I had been smart enough to sodomize and abuse other students while I was in high school. I'm hoping your picking up on the sarcasim here because I'm laying it on pretty thick! I have NO DOUBT that these boys are guilty of what they are being charged with. If you took the time to talk to students and athletes at that school then you would have no doubt as well. These "hazing" (as it's so loosely called) incidents have not been a secret. Kids have complained about this type of thing before, just no one did anything. It would be foolish to think that anyone other than the parties involved know the whole truth, but even if half were true it is still unexcusable! If these boys are found innocent of all the charges then I will gladly eat my words, but I won't have to. For the sake of everyone involved I truly wish this was a bad dream, but life is full of choices and these boys have made several bad ones!

Call it what it is!

December 10, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 42 weeks ago
Comment: 143

I would like to know why they keep calling this "hazing"? Forceable sexual penetration with a forign object is not hazing- it is rape! Being held down against your will while someone violates you is not hazing! The sad part is that this has been happening for years at BHS. Ask just about any athlete- current or former, boy or girl and they knew about it. I'm sure not all incedients were to the extent of these, but that still doesn't make it right. Coaches and administrators have turned their heads for years. It's sad beacause of the changes that have been made with coaches and administrators the one's who should get punished won't and the ones who "filled" their positions will get thrown under the bus. I guess that's how the school politics work though. Seems it's who you know not what you know that's important now days. This too will eventually be swept under the rug with no punishment (other than legal reprocutions to the boys who are charged). Wonder where these kids get the idea they can get away with this stuff?????

Let's not be too hasty

December 13, 2010 by nauseated (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 160

If in fact, crimes were committed then I hope that there will be punishment. However, I am having a hard time beliveing these charges,because of mistakes the Bingham County prosecution have made in the past. Case in point.. Please read the following editorial and the comments made about our prosecuter. The same prosecuter who is involved in these cases.

Here is comment from the above article that gave me chills! It is from Nick and this is a direct quote:

"What a well-written and awesome editorial! There has been tremendous public support for Mikel during this whole thing. I was afraid the stupid people would be out in force to make her life harder. As it is, the community has come together for her and I was touched by the positive comments made by many from the very beginning. If one person can be arrested, charged and made to suffer like this when the main piece of evidence is bogus, then it can happen to any of us.

When the charges were dropped, Mikel’s attorney’s even said that some of Scott Andrew’s “evidence” was hearsay from out of state! I hope those people are ashamed of what they have done. Mikel now has a permanent, criminal record. Many employers these days ask about arrests and she’ll have to say what she was arrested for.

How can a justice system punish an innocent person so badly? If charges are dropped, then drop the charge from a person’s record! It scares me to think I could have a criminal record because of hateful people. It could happen to any of us after what’s happened to Mikel."

Who is next?

getting away with it?

December 11, 2010 by stove (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 158

Obviously they are not getting away with anything. Look at what they are going through-first year in college dealing with suspension from a team they have worked hard to be apart of and distraction from focusing on finals. What tops the cake is their family name is being trashed and they can't even be in their hometown to defend themselves because they are trying to be successful in college. So I ask you, what are they getting away with?

I feel sorry for what their

December 15, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 167

I feel sorry for what their families are going through because of their bad choices, but I don't feel sorry for those boys one bit. Yes they did work hard to be part of a few college teams, but guess what???? Life is bigger than college football, shocker! Everyone needs to remember that no one brought this on those boys but themselves. I'm sure they figured the boys they molested and assulted would never tell. Wow, it must be hard for them to concentrate on their finals knowing they are facing felony charges and possible jail time. Boo hoo! How do you think their victims have felt over the past few years? I feel bad for them- not the boys who caused the pain.

The hater named "Really"

December 15, 2010 by truthsayer (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 169

Just reading through your hateful posts, "Really"? You come across as the mean-spirited bully you allege these 5 boys are. You write these things in the name of what? Compassion? Fair-mindedness? "Really"? As you beat them down and verbally abuse them and their families. Merry CHRISTmas...

Seriously??

December 16, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 176

Hateful posts? I realize the TRUTH hurts, but the only hateful part of all of this is what the boys did to their victims. At no time did I verbally abuse these boys or their families- get real. As a matter of fact I have said in just about every post how bad I feel for their families, they have to go through everyday trying to make peace with what has happened. Their sons have ruined so many lives through their actions. I am not he bully here- those boys are. It's about time that someone stand up for the victims and stop coddeling those boys! Again I will say: I feel sorry for the families of all the kids involved, but I will NOT feel any compassion towards the boys who did these hanus acts!

Who are you?

December 16, 2010 by lilfav (not verified), 3 years 41 weeks ago
Comment: 179

Who are you "Really"??? You sure have a lot to say. Why you hiding behind a fake name?? As well as everyone else?? I think that if people feel the need to be so involved with something that they feel is their business...then they should be man or woman enough to stand behind who they are.... So I am asking who are you? What gives you the right to pass so much judgement? These boys have not even gone before a judge. Who are you to point the fingure?

I am...

December 20, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 194

I am the voice that echo's many concerned parents, patrons and students of this district.
I am tired of seeing athletes go unpunished for the crimes they commit.
I am tired of watching football players in this district get so much leway because they are "football players".
I am tired of this district putting boys such as these on pedestals.
I am tired of people trying to underplay this situation by calling it "hazing" instead of rape!
I am tired of people looking the other way and allowing this to happen right under their noses.
And most of all... I AM tired of no one ever having to stand up and say what I did was wrong and I am sorry and I will accept the consequences of my actions.
There, does that answer your question??? I realize that you are family to one of the accused boys, but you seem to be taking this situation way to lightly! Maybe that's where he got off in thinking he could do these things...

Who is on Administrative Leave?

December 20, 2010 by teacherk (not verified), 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 197

Looks like the coach is still coaching and the other administrators are still at work. Who is missing?

Interesting

December 21, 2010 by Really... (not verified), 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 200

I have been wondering the same thing! I find it interesting the lengths the "administrators" in this district will go to in order to protect one of their own. Where were they when the kids needed protecting? As soon as "someone" was suspended it should have been made known to the public. I'm wondering if they are not just bluffing so people will think they are doing something!

Merry Christmas

December 20, 2010 by lilfav (not verified), 3 years 40 weeks ago
Comment: 196

No, actually that does not answer my question. Its ok though. I understand that you don't want to be judged or have the finger pointed at you for being out of line. I'm done waisting my time with you and everyone else who has displayed this kind of behavior. The truth will come out what ever it may be. Its in God's hands he is the one that in the end is the true judge. One day you will stand before him too. Merry Christmas.

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes