- Special Sections
- Local Guide
BLACKFOOT â€” Deconstruction of the house on the corner of S. Shilling Avenue and South Street began Thursday. The house at 523 S. Shilling was destroyed by fire in February.
At the time of the fire, Steve Condon was living in the house with his wife and four teenage children. No one was home at the time of the fire. Janet Chamberlain owns the property.
"Free entertainment in the middle of the afternoon, what could be better?" queried a neighbor.
Another neighbor said, "I've been waiting a month for them to begin this project."
Ron Dykman from Dykman Construction Inc. from Pocatello is in charge of the deconstruction.
"It should be all cleaned up in three or four days," Dykman said. "The site will be evacuated down to the foundation. Only a dirt hole will be left."
Cloth and electronics will be separated and taken to the Bingham County transfer station, Dykman said. The wood, construction and demolition (C&D) material will be hauled to Wolverine.
Dykman said he has been waiting six weeks for approval from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
"Actually, I started the approval process last May," Dykman said.
The house was tested for asbestos and lead. There was no asbestos or any lead in the house, which is pretty interesting considering the age of the house, he said.
Among other features, there were big 2x6 beams in the house and beautiful maple hard wood floors, Dykman said.
The historical home was originally built in 1890 for William and Lucy Danilson. In 1899 C.W. Berryman, a successful business man who also served as county commissioner, grand jury foreman and vice president of Blackfoot Light and Power Company, moved into the house with his wife Mary. They lived in the home until 1938.
Later, music teacher R.A. Robbins and his family lived there, as did Judge and Sandy McCoy.
Kevin Fay was the trackhoe operator tearing down the house. Andrew Clark manned the fire hose to keep the dust down.