January 20th, 2015
LONDON (AP) â€” It was not what Derek Nash expected to find in his 5-year-old's school bag: A bill demanding a "no-show fee" for another child's birthday party.
Nash said the bill from another parent sought 15.95 pounds ($24.00) because his son Alex had not attended the party at a ski center in Plymouth, southwest England.
Nash told the BBC on Monday he had initially accepted the party invitation, but later realized Alex was supposed to visit his grandparents that day. He said he did not have contact details to let the other family know.
Kyle Russell Pratt, 27, of Blackfoot, Idaho passed away Monday, January 19, 2015 in Boise, Idaho from injuries sustained in a vehicle accident.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHAT OBAMA PLANS TO PITCH DURING STATE OF UNION
The president will roll out plans for tax hikes on the wealthiest Americans in his annual address Tuesday.
2. WHO MARCHES IN ALABAMA TO HONOR MLK
Actors from the biopic 'Selma' and hundreds of others retrace the steps of activists who braved tear gas and police dogs in the 1965 fight for voting rights.
3. HOW MANY TURN OUT FOR POPE'S FINAL DAY IN PHILIPPINES
CHICAGO (AP) â€” A Chicago strip club has received an award for its efforts at dressing up the neighborhood.
The Admiral Theatre on Chicago's northwest side received one of Albany Park Neighbors' six "Block Star Business" awards this week. The group's website says the honor is meant to spotlight businesses that work to keep the neighborhood clean and presentable.
"It's difficult to dispute the Admiral doesn't deserve the award," group member Shylo Bisnett said. "They recently upgraded their faÃ§ade and even during construction it was still tidy, it was still passable."
Bringing a magical underwater kingdom to the stage is a labor of love for Eric Bucklein, his wife Kathy and son Phillip. they have volunteered to help create the set for the Blackfoot Community Players (BCP) upcoming presentation of the beloved tale "Little Mermaid Jr." The musical will open on Friday at Blackfoot's Historic Nuart Theater.
For more on this story, turn to our print or e-editions.
SHARON, Pa. (AP) â€” A 62-year-old woman says she discovered a python on her bathroom floor when she went to take an overnight potty break.
Debbie LaMotte tells The (Sharon) Herald that she first thought the snake was a scarf lying on the floor "because it had such a beautiful pattern." But when she prodded it with her cane, the snake's head moved.
The incident happened about 4 a.m. Tuesday at her apartment in Riverview Manor in Sharon. That's about 60 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.
LARGO, Fla. (AP) â€” Is "In Dog We Trust" your motto?
If so, a sheriff's office in Florida has a rug for you. The Pinellas County sheriff's office said Thursday it will auction off a rug that had "In Dog We Trust" on it instead of "In God We Trust."
The forest green rug with the sheriff's gold badge was in the entrance area for a couple of months when the error was discovered Wednesday by a deputy.
Proceeds from the auction will go to Canine Estates, a local animal rescue organization.
POCATELLO â€” Oh so close.
That has to be the feeling for the Blackfoot Lady Broncos and head coach Dallan Parker after the Blackfoot's 46-40 loss to Pocatello at the Palace of Pocatello High School Friday night.
During the season the Broncos have improved markedly from the opening games of the season, Friday night Parker said before the game he would really like to win a game in the gym he used to coach in and against his little sister Carly who is a senior for the Indians.
But as close as the Broncos got in the game with the Indians Friday, mistakes took them away from a victory.
BLACKFOOT â€” Emergency units responded to a gas leak in the alleyway between Broadway/Ash and Bridge/Judicial streets around 7:45 a.m. on Friday.
According to Blackfoot Police Chief Kurt Asmus, it appears that a garbage truck going through the alley around 7:15 a.m. inadvertently dropped or bumped a large metal garbage can which hit a gas meter, causing the leak.
Businesswoman Gracie Sanchez, owner of Flower Budz Daycare on Ash Street, and her manager could smell gas and hear the gas leaking shortly after the garage truck made its way through the alley.